Monday, February 21, 2011

Currently Reading

The Joy of Full Surrender by Jean-Pierre de Caussade.



I started this book a number of weeks ago. Before I had any real responsibilities (if you can call what I do now responsible), that was enough time for me to plow through at least 4 or 5 books. But now, I am an old weary woman who takes her time reading. If I gave myself any benefit, I would say it is because I am becoming more thoughtful when I read, absorbing each and every part of the book in due time. But we all know that's rubbish.

Did you read that last sentence with a British accent? I did.

I have so many great little thought nuggets and pearls of wisdom underlined and highlighted throughout the book, but the Magnificat made it pretty clear which one I should feature in my realm of the blogosphere. [To read the full excerpt, check page 293 of your February Magnificat.]

My favorite part is this:
"When God's designs and will are embraced with simplicity by a faithful soul, they produce this divine state in it without its knowing it, just as medicine taken obediently by a sick man effects his cure, even though he neither knows nor is capable of knowing anything about the medicine."
All too often I get caught up in my intellectual snobbery, my need to explain, defend, and show off Catholicism. I am a sick physician, prescribing the medication but not taking my own advice. de Caussade goes on:
"If we wish to quench our thirst, we must lay aside books which explain thirst, and take a drink."
If only inner peace came through a faucet. To embrace God's designs and will is simple, but not easy. At least not for me. To simply and faithfully accept the life you have been granted; oh isn't that the art of living. And what better way to live your life gracefully, who better to trust than the Artist Himself.

1 comment:

  1. "All too often I get caught up in my intellectual snobbery, my need to explain, defend, and show off Catholicism. I am a sick physician, prescribing the medication but not taking my own advice."

    Ha! You and me both.

    ReplyDelete