Monday, May 3, 2010

Grades

What is the current nominal interest rate on 5-year Brazilian treasury bills? Who knows? I should, because it's part of my curriculum for my Economics 310 class. I have a problem set and a quiz due for that class this week, immediately followed by my final exam. And that class is my easiest class this semester in terms of work load. Absurd? Yes, I think so too.

So here I sit, whining and complaining, about this hard life. I have to study for classes, and hang out with friends, and have my tuition paid for by the people who put up with my antics for so long. Someone please call the wahhmbulance.

I have to constantly remind myself that part of being a faithful daughter of God is to do every task with excellence. Part of my "little-v-vocation" is being a student. If being a student now is going to help me reach my big V Vocation, then I should be being the best student I can be.

What is your vocation in life? Are you living it out right now? I have to ask myself these questions just to make sure I'm staying on track, and even then it can be so hard to discern what is coming from the Holy Spirit, and what is coming from my own personal wishes. Sometimes I wish God could just shoot me and email, or text me what I should do each day, or if I could just have a Bruce Almighty moment, where God played by Morgan Freeman just gives me all his powers.

I have to be careful with what I pray for though, because God just might give me what I want. But God, in His omniscience, would not tell me something I wasn't ready for. So for now, I know I am ready to be a good student. In fact, I am ready enough to let you know that the current nominal interest rate on 5-year Brazilian treasury bills is 12.7% (in Brazilian Reals).

2 comments:

  1. Love this post.
    Although I like to stress that vocation as a student is not necessarily to get good grades but to learn. If one sacrifices all simply to do the workload to get a grade but do not learn anything, then they are not fulfilling their vocation.

    I wouldn't recommend neglecting your grades completely as society views grades as a signal for how hard of a worker you are and if you learned the material.

    ReplyDelete