Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Silver Lining

Today has been cold and dark with spots of rain every now and then. It is also exam week. The gloominess is almost unbearable.

Before exam week started, the students who attended the 10pm Sunday mass (yes, PM), received Father Peter's "blessing of the brains" that he gives at the end of every semester. The blessing was so beautifully said, asking the Holy Spirit to fill the students with peace, easing their anxiety. Father Peter prayed that we would not neglect our prayer or our studies.

How perfect was it that prayer was listed before studies. As a Catholic college student, it is so easy to get wrapped up in the idea of being a "good student" that we are no longer a good child of God. Today I took a small hour break from my studying to go to the chapel and pray, and then say hello to friends that were studying in the chapel's library. As gloomy and nerve-racking as the day had been, just being in front of the Blessed Sacrament helped soothe my soul. Just that quick conversation with Jesus helped me offer up my own anxieties.

As I said my goodbyes to my friends in the chapel's library, and walked outside, I was greeted with no rain! How wonderful! The rain had stopped, and I know the sun is patiently waiting behind the clouds, relishing in the idea of the moment I am done with my final final exam at 4pm tomorrow, so he can burst out from behind the grey, and welcome me into summer!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you know, St Thomas Aquinas has a prayer just for this.

    Prayer Before Study

    "Creator of all things, true source of light and wisdom, lofty origin of all being, graciously let a ray of your brilliance penetrate into the darkness of my understanding and take from me the double darkness in which I have been born, an obscurity of both sin and ignorance. Give me a sharp sense of understanding, a retentive memory, and the ability to grasp things correctly and fundamentally. Grant me the talent of being exact in my explanations, and the ability to express myself with thoroughness and charm. Point out the beginning, direct the progress, and help in completion; through Christ our Lord. Amen."

    Of course, most college students remember St Joseph of Cupertino who had prayed for the exam to be those questions to which he knew the answer.
    God Bless on Exams

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice running into you and Tommy today -- you are going to be done now in T-24 minutes. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete