Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mysterious Ways

I haven't been posting much at all lately. Just one year ago, I started this little blog, with a firm Lenten resolution to post regularly. That wasn't my resolution this year, but I still try to write a new post somewhat continuously.

I have a funny process for how a blog post makes it to the "published" world of the internet. It all begins with a thought. These little blog thoughts come to me in wonderful ways. Sometimes they come through prayer or spiritual reading, other times interactions with friends, and my favorite is to be inspired by a fleeting moment whereupon I am struck by a fantastic whim, a true gem of an idea. I can attribute all these only to God sending little messages to me though the most remarkably ordinary things. I began this blog as an outlet for my daily reveries, and the blog itself has ended up being another one of those remarkably ordinary things for God to show me something new. It has helped me to look at everything in a way that makes His presence known. Random things don't happen randomly anymore in my life.

After I catch that little inspiration, I hold on tightly. I study it for a time. I make sure my thought process isn't so much like spaghetti, but more like rotini. (You see, with spaghetti, you can't make sense of it, you can't tell where one noodle begins and ends. But rotini is bite-size, but still twirly and fun. Unlike penne, which is also bite size but frankly a little boring. Unless spaghetti gets you a kiss with the tramp, that handsomely scruffy pup, it is no good for a quick blog post.)

My next step is to stop thinking about pasta. And then I start to write. And save. And write. And edit. And edit. And take out that lame joke. And that other one. And so on.

And then it sits in my endless list of posts that were started, and saved, and wait to be published until it strikes their author's fancy.

And here I am , it's been weeks since a real and inspired post. But that is because the final step in my funny little blog posting process is that each and every post must sound like me. At least the way I think I sound. And lately I haven't been myself.

But then something spectacular happened! God, who works tirelessly each and every day to love me, sent me a sweet little thought through none other than a blog post and one of my favorite bands.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

-mumford & sons.


So thanks Anna, for being an instrument of God's love, and thanks Mumford & Sons, for speaking to my heart with music and lyrics. I think I will wear a flower in my hair tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment