Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Funday

Are you enjoying this fine Sunday in Lent? Are you reveling in whatever good and wonderful thing you have chosen not to partake in Monday-Saturday?

I hope you are. I hope you are celebrating the Eucharist this fine day. I hope you woke up with a smile. I hope you are gobbling girl scout cookies and if you are my father, perhaps you will enjoy a good brew with dinner tonight.

Today is the one day a week I can listen to music. And oh, am I! I have been blessed in many many ways. A decent singing voice was not one of those blessings. Someone once told me that if God gives you a great voice, sing loud. If God doesn't give you a good voice, sing louder and make Him wish that He did. Nonetheless, I'm singing along, off-key, off-beat, and proud. I am dancing when the mood strikes and rolling down all four of my car windows, no matter what the temperature outside


I never make a playlist, I enjoy knowing that when I press "random", it isn't random at all. Each song, every chord and lyric streams through the airwaves with a purpose for my ears to hear.

Jack Johnson-Do You Remember? I sure do, every time I hear that song I think of freshman year, making memories, mud sliding at 2:00AM because it was soggy outside and sleep was something old people did. I remember meeting all those new faces in late August, and thinking now how they will be familiar faces for the rest of my life. I remember my favorite jeans, my pile of tee shirts, my long hippie hair, and seriously considering dread locks. Seriously. I remember more than you think could be packed into 2 minutes and 24 seconds.

Michael Buble-Home. The idea of what my "home" is has been ever present in my thoughts lately. I am officially a grown up. I graduate in 5 weeks and I have a big kid, pack your own lunches, no jeans allowed job. My drive back to the D.C. area after spring break was bittersweet. Mom, Dad, Will, John, Daisy and the beach, all fading in my rear view. The unknown ahead of me. But I am lucky. I am part of a family where I can feel at home anywhere there is a tabernacle. Praise God.

Earth Wind & Fire-September. Excuse me while I dance with my roommates. It's sort of our favorite song to dance to. And we also open the doors and windows, so anyone within earshot can enjoy it too.


And the songs continue, Hootie and the Blowfish just brighten my day. Taylor Swift makes me feel every emotion all at once. I'm pretty sure she has read my diary. Sprinkle that with some nostalgic 90s pop songs, and finish it up with Rod Stewart telling me I'm in his heart. And every Sunday is a new mix of melodies. Oh Joy.

And to top it all off, the best part about this Sunday Funday, even better than listening to the radio, is going to Mass. Celebrating the Eucharist, is a much bigger party than dancing to September with my roommates. There isn't quite as much crazy dancing and belt-it-out singing, but hearts do dance, and souls do sing. And even though my vocal chords weren't blessed with the greatest harmonies, I know God has blessed each and every person with a heart song that He loves to listen to.

1 comment:

  1. yyaaahhhooooo! love this! you have me loving music right nw!

    ReplyDelete