Thursday, February 18, 2010

TNS

Every Thursday night at my university, the Catholic Campus Ministry celebrates daily mass, then all 100something of the students eat a delicious meal and are able to hear a quick talk about something faith-related. We affectionately refer to it as TNS, or Thursday Night Supper.

At mass, I almost forgot about the lack of our proclamation before the gospel, you know, that overly-covered song that Jeff Buckley sang in the movie Shrek? I was surprised, just because it is still so early in Lent, but it was also a nice reminder and a supplement to my prayer. After mass and then a delicious dinner, we all scooted our chairs around to face the night's speaker. Tonight's talk was about finding true Christ-centered love.

The focus of the talk was mainly marital relationship, but it is so easily applied to everyone's personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Our speaker, Elizabeth Foss (http://elizabethfoss.com) shared lists of qualities that a good man or good woman should strive for on their path to holiness. Luckily for all of us, God has all of those qualities! God is all that is good, He is all that we truly desire in any relationship.

This Lent, and every other day of my life, I hope I am graced with all the good qualities and virtues that make me a good woman. As Mrs. Foss began the list of qualities, I began to take inventory of which ones I had. Unfortunately, I have a very long way to go, but fortunately, it's Lent! Best time to start! Frankly, it's even better than New Years, because Lenten resolutions have a stronger degree of accountability, which I find most often in the form of fraternal correction from my roommates.

My roommates, I am sure, are keenly aware of my need to live out at least one of the qualities in Mrs. Foss's talk, which is listening to and receiving that fraternal correction. Thanks roomies :)

Tomorrow will be the first Friday in Lent, and I will have to tie a string around my finger to remember not to eat meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment