Saturday, April 17, 2010

Adventure

Of the many a times I have spent perusing facebook, I have ended up living vicariously through friends' travel photos. A few close friends have had the opportunity to travel abroad for school and pleasure, and they have such fantastic photos, stories and blogs. I love to hear about their daily adventures, and sometimes I wish my life was as exciting.

But of course, my life could be so much more exciting if I didn't sit and dream about other people's. I remember a priest at my home parish once said, "saying you are bored is the same thing as saying you are boring", and how true it is!

How can I complain about having a mundane life? God gave me this life, and God doesn't do mundane, he only does spectacular. Think about it: you were created for a purpose. You are a unique and unrepeatable soul who is playing a part in the grand history of the human race. There is something you must do in this life, that no one else can do. If you fail, then that part of human history is kaput.

Imagine someone you greatly admire, and they ask for your help to achieve their grand goal or adventure in life. How stoked would you be? To help put it in perspective for me, I imagine F. A. Hayek asking me to help him with his research that won him the Nobel Prize in economics.

But Hayek pales in comparison to the God of the universe.

I want to live my life worthy of the promises of God, and that means loving greatly, and knowing that if I follow God, every day of my life will be a grand adventure. Simplicity becomes splendid and mundane minutia become marvelous miracles.

Dear Jesus,
Fill me with Your Holy Spirit, that I may greet each day with a holy determination. May I see each and every person as made in Your image and likeness. Let me not waste Your precious gift of time, but use it only for You. Amen.


Also, a quick 2 or 3 page read about seeing each day as an adventure can be found here, by the wonderful G.K. Chesterton. This small essay changed my life.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. The knowledge you shared in the post is really delightful and good. An Individual have to take his own decision regarding to what he wants so do what ever you want..........

    ReplyDelete