Thursday, March 25, 2010

Peace, Love, Economics

This past Christmas, one of my favorite gifts from Santa (read: mom) was a mug. It is large enough to hold as much tea as I could drink (I don't drink coffee), and, displayed around the outside of the mug it says "Peace, Love, Economics", with lovely pictures to illustrate the words.

In case anyone reading this blog doesn't know, I love economics. I am majoring in economics at one of the top universities for Public Choice in the country, and I have even been able to learn from world renowned professors and Nobel laureates in economics.

My personal attraction to economics is a unique one. I fancy myself a hybrid of libertarian thinking/Austrian school of thought/ subscriber to Stigler's Economic (capture) theory, and also a Roman Catholic who loves social justice.

I am basically using this tidbit of information as a plug for my own opinions regarding current events and the faith. So here goes:

In lieu of the recent health care legislation, I attended a debate the other day about government involvement in health care. During the audience-question portion of the debate, someone stood up and asked something along the lines of "I am a devout Christian, and I value every human life. I believe that we should care for every human, regardless of the cost. How do you argue the moral side of this argument?"

This question brought me back to a blog post I contributed to the Catholic Economist blog, and my opinion hasn't really changed.

In an application for a summer seminar with the Institute for Humane Studies, I submitted another essay about the role of government involvement in health care. If you care to read that one as well, let me know. It's only a few paragraphs, but I don't want to bore you with politics too much.

And I do apologize for not staying on top of things and writing on this blog as often as I ought. I have been utterly swamped with school work, food poisoning (I'll tell you all the wonderful details about that another time), and the other little blessings in life that keep me keeping on. I think now I will recline back with a cup of tea in my wonderful mug, and try to brainstorm some good blog ideas so I don't leave my wonderful readers without a post.

1 comment:

  1. So Ruthie, although Lent is almost over, I am inspired by your dedication to your blog, so I am going to try dedication to a blog. Thank you for being inspiring :)

    And good luck with the application!

    ReplyDelete