Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Sound of Silence

Growing up, my parents were not pop music connoisseurs. Certainly I had piano lessons for a short while, and even clarinet lessons for an even shorter while (terrible idea on my part), but the only music I ever heard around the house was Gregorian chants, one of my dad's favorite things to hear, and once or twice some Simon and Garfunkel.

My immediate reaction to this limited introduction to music was two-fold:
1. I hated Gregorian chants, they were totally uncool, and my dad was so strange in my elementary school eyes. How embarrassing!
2. I always remembered the words "neon signs" from Simon and Garfunkel's hit, The Sound of Silence. I'm not sure why those words in particular stuck out, but I'm guessing it's most likely because it created an actual picture in my head to remember.

But I am brought back once again to both of these musical influences on my life because tomorrow I will be leaving for a silent retreat. Silence + retreat made me think of those two songs. I have never been on a silent retreat before, and I am absolutely puzzled. I can't say I am excited, or even anxious. It is a strange feeling, how I feel about this retreat, because it will be a completely new and unique experience.

I have talked to friends who have gone previously, and I hear nothing but positive feedback. I am however worried just slightly. Some people have come back from this retreat changed completely (for the better of course), and they seem to know exactly how to live their lives, more so than just having teachings and precepts laid before them. You could witness a concrete change. What if that happens to me?

Does that seem like a strange preoccupation? Of course it does. For now, I will prepare myself, maybe by listening to some Gregorian chants, or listening to The Sound of Silence, or maybe just the sound of silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment